Apply by completing the Pat Jones Bursary Award digital application form. You will receive a PDF of your completed application to your inbox, which you should submit to your school by Friday, 10 March 2023.
Croí Laighean Credit Union is proud to recognise the talent and hard work of young people.
One of the ways we do this is by awarding two students with the Pat Jones Student Bursary Award each year. This prestigious award provides €6,000 towards the cost of third level education. Over the last ten years, the bursary has contributed almost €111,000 to local students.
** The bursary is only open to members of Croí Laighean Credit Union **
How it works...
Each school will assess all applications received, based on the criteria for eligibility and selection. Three finalists from each of the six schools will be nominated to progress to the next stage. Finalists will be notified that they have made the next stage by Friday, 31st March 2023
All finalists will be invited to submit a short video as part of the next stage, which will be assessed by an independent panel. The video must be submitted before 5pm on Monday, 24th April 2023.
Finalists will be contacted in May, to arrange a time slot to receive a special delivery on Thursday, 11th May 2023. Two recipients will be announced as winners and receive their award plaques in this delivery, claiming the prize of €6,000 towards their third level education.
Who can apply...
We are seeking applications from all 6th Year students who are attending schools in the common bond area, and who wish to further their education with a third level course. Please see our bursary terms and conditions. These schools include;
Coláiste Chiaráin Leixlip
Confey College Leixlip
Scoil Mhuire Community School Clane
Oaklands Community College Edenderry
St. Mary’s Secondary School Edenderry
St. Farnan’s Post Primary School Prosperous
What happens next...
Once you have applied via the digital submission, you will receive a PDF copy of the completed application form to your inbox. If you are not happy, you can redo your application as many times as you wish – but please ensure to send only the final submission to your school. To finish your application, please email the PDF to the email address relevant to your school listed below:
** Completed applications must be submitted to your school by Friday, 10th March 2023 **
About Pat Jones...
Pat Jones was the chair of the Board Oversight Committee of the Credit Union for many years. Pat died suddenly in 2012 and it was agreed that we should find a way to honour his enormous contribution to our Credit Union.
Education was very important to Pat and so we felt the greatest way to honour his memory was to introduce the bursary awards in his name. In 2013, the inaugural Pat Jones Bursary Awards were held. Now in their 10th year the awards are going from strength to strength,
1. Do I have to be a member of CLCU to apply?
Yes, all entrants must be active members of Croí Laighean Credit Union (i.e. transacting on their account) to be eligible to apply. If you are not a member, you can join Croí Laighean Credit Union by applying online here.
2. Can I request a deadline extension?
In the interest of fairness to all applicants, we are unable to grant deadline extensions to individual applicants.
3. Can I apply directly to Croí Laighean CU?
Students must submit the completed application to their school and each school will nominate three finalists to proceed to the next stage of the application process.
4. How are applications assessed by Croí Laighean Credit Union?
We will review applications, according to these 4 pillars:
5. View the full Terms and Conditions of the Pat Jones Student Bursary
Terms & Conditions
1. Applicant must be attending any of the six secondary schools in the common bond and pursuing third level education in the coming year
2. Applicant must be a member of Croí Laighean Credit Union
3. Applicant must complete an application form in full and return it to their school on or before the deadline
4. Applicant must be available to submit a video interview to the Bursary Committee
5. Acceptance that the judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into following the final decision
6. Children of Management, Staff, Directors and the Board Oversight Committee of Croí Laighean Credit Union are not eligible to apply for the Bursary Award
7. Children of Staff & Board of Management of participating schools are not eligible to apply for the Bursary Award